Monday, June 4, 2012

A Pastry Weekend: Pepples Donut Farm & Cinnaholic

The best way to wind down is to go on a sugar overload of the finest desserts/pastries. This weekend was that...and I have no complaints except I want more!  This weekend I indulged myself with donuts and cinnamon rolls.  The donuts were my highlight because having vegan donuts is a rarity.  The last time I had donuts was a few years ago when I went to BabyCakes in LA.

On Saturday, I went to Pepples Donut Farm in Oakland.  The place borders Berkeley.  They had loads of different flavored donuts...(Not pictured: glazed yeast donuts/rolls, in which I have to try next time because glazed yeast donuts are my kind of donuts.).  They are all 100% organic and vegan.




I opted down to three donuts: Vanilla Cookie, Orange Creamsicle, and Candy Cap.




Each were sweet, but not too sweet and had a nice crumb to them.  They definitely satisfy my donut craving.  The Orange Creamsicle had a nicely rich, sweet tang to it.  The Vanilla Cookie was simply a tasty vanilla donut with cookie crumbs.  My favorite...I must say was the Candy Cap.  What interest me in getting the donut was that the gentleman at the counter told me that it is a mushroom/fungi that gives off a maple syrup like flavor.  It was quite nice.  It was sweet and had earthiness-like flavor.




While at Pepples, I decided to have brunch there.  I ordered the Almond Belgian Waffle with a side of Field Roast's Spicy Chipotle Sausage.  The waffle was very hearty and delightful.  The batter is made of almonds.  When eating it, I tasted bananas, so I assume there were bananas in it, but I am not too sure.  The syrup was nice...Candy Cap syrup.   The Field Roast Sausage, I had many times, in which is really good.  If you never had it, go to your nearest health food store and pick some up.  Surprising the biggest highlight of my trip was a cilantro sauce that is set at the table.  It woke up my senses and brought out the flavors of the sausage.  I LOVE the sauce...yum.  It was a refreshing sauce of spice.





On Sunday, I went to Point Reyes with the family and we spotted wild elk.  Such a lovely sight as we were driving alongside the prairie. 





On the way back, I had to stop by Cinnaholic in Berkeley (right across the street from UC Berkeley).  I heard so much about it, so I knew I had to make a stop to try it.  There were so many flavor/topping choices.  I really didn't know how to customize mine, so I went with the suggestions in the display case.




If I had to do it again, I would go with cookie dough, marshmallows, and maybe even strawberries, but there is always next time. Keep in mind, this place is 100% Vegan.  Anyhow, I chose the Coconut Cream Pie and my son had his customized with brownies, blueberries, and caramel frosting.





Both were sensationally divine.  They were warm and very moist.  Sooooooo good and very filling.  Mmmmm!

I must say it was a delectable weekend. ♥


2 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon rolls are a good reason for me to make a trip out to California.

    ReplyDelete